A mother (a pediatric dentist who even recommends teething toys) bought her son a popular teething toy, Sophie the Giraffe. After many uses, she noticed that the air that venting from they toy smelled bad – “musty.” She decided to cut the toy open and check it out. After she was inside, she says she was horrified at what she found, and described it as “a science experiment living inside.” It was absolutely full of black mold – the inside of a teething toy!
She said she always cleaned it according to instruction, warm soapy water, and she didn’t let the toy go under water or suck any water through its vent hole. The manufacturer has released a statement about cleaning the toy, saying “the cleaning instructions have to be carefully respected.” They went on to say satisfaction is guaranteed, and they were unaware of the issue of mold growing inside the toy.
Check out some pictures as well as some more details here on Good Housekeeping, but warning, it’s kind of gross.